Pickled beets are a delicious and tangy way to enjoy the earthy flavor of beets. Pickling is a traditional preservation method that involves soaking vegetables in a brine of vinegar, salt, and spices. This method not only preserves the beets but also enhances their flavor and texture. Pickled beets can be enjoyed as a snack or used as a flavorful ingredient in salads, sandwiches, and other dishes.
Ingredients and Materials Needed to Make Pickles from Scratch
To make pickled beets at home, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of fresh beets, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon of black peppercorns
You will also need the following materials:
- A large pot
- Jars with lids
- Tongs or a slotted spoon
- A canning funnel (optional)
The Simple Step-By-Step Guide for Making Your Own Pickled Beets
- Wash and peel the beets. Slice them into thin rounds or wedges.
- In a large pot, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, cloves, cinnamon stick, and black peppercorns. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the sliced beets to the pot and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the beets are tender.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the beets to sterilized jars. Fill the jars with the hot pickling liquid, leaving a 1/2-inch space at the top.
- Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean cloth and seal the lids tightly.
- Place the jars in a large pot of boiling water and let them process for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the water and let them cool on a towel. Once cooled, store the pickled beets in a cool, dry place.
Delicious Add-Ons To Your Homemade Pickle Jar
Pickled beets can be enjoyed on their own or as a flavorful ingredient in other dishes. Here are some delicious add-ons to enhance your homemade pickle jar:
- Dill: Add a few sprigs of fresh dill to the pickling liquid for a classic flavor.
- Garlic: Add a few cloves of peeled garlic to the pickling liquid for a savory kick.
- Ginger: Add a few slices of fresh ginger to the pickling liquid for a zesty twist.
- Onion: Add sliced onions to the pickling liquid for a sweet and tangy flavor.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Best Out of Your Homemade Pickled Beets
- Use fresh, firm beets for the best results.
- Sterilize your jars before filling them with the pickled beets to prevent contamination.
- Store your pickled beets in a cool, dry place for up to a year.
- Serve your pickled beets as a side dish or use them as an ingredient in salads, sandwiches, and other dishes.
- Experiment with different spices and flavorings to customize your pickled be