Sausage and potatoes is a classic combination that never goes out of style. It’s a simple and hearty meal that is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. This dish is easy to make, customizable, and can be made healthier with a few simple substitutions. Whether you’re looking for a comforting meal or a quick and easy dinner, sausage and potatoes is a great choice. In this blog post, we’ll share a delicious and easy recipe for sausage and potatoes, along with some tips and variations to make this dish your own.This dish is perfect for busy weeknights, as it requires only a few ingredients and is quick and easy to prepare.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 lb. baby potatoes, halved
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with 1 tbsp. olive oil, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange the potatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until they are tender and lightly browned.
- While the potatoes are roasting, heat the remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced sausage to the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until browned.
- Add the sliced onion and minced garlic to the skillet and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Once the potatoes are done roasting, add them to the skillet with the sausage and onions. Toss to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until everything is heated through.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
This recipe is easy to customize to your liking. You can use any type of sausage you prefer, such as spicy Italian sausage or chorizo. You can also add other vegetables to the dish, such as bell peppers, mushrooms, or zucchini.
If you want to make this dish even more flavorful, you can sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese or chopped fresh parsley over the top before serving.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Simply reheat in the microwave or oven until heated through.
If you’re looking to make this dish even healthier?
you can use turkey or chicken sausage instead of pork sausage. You can also substitute the baby potatoes with sweet potatoes or butternut squash for a healthier twist.
To make this dish even more filling, you can serve it with a side salad or some steamed vegetables. You can also serve it with a slice of crusty bread to mop up the delicious sauce.
If you want to make this dish ahead of time, you can prepare the roasted potatoes and sausage mixture in advance and store them separately in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve, simply reheat the mixture in the oven or on the stove and combine.
Another variation of this dish is to turn it into a one-pan meal by adding eggs to the skillet. Crack a few eggs on top of the sausage and potatoes mixture and bake in the oven until the eggs are set. This makes for a delicious and filling breakfast or brunch dish.
In conclusion, sausage and potatoes make for a delicious and comforting meal that is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. This recipe is easy to customize and can be made healthier with a few simple substitutions. Try it out and make it a new family favorite!