Creamy Tortellini Soup: A Bowl of Comfort and Flavor
When you’re in need of a hearty and satisfying meal that wraps you in warmth, Creamy Tortellini Soup is the answer. This delicious soup combines plump cheese-filled tortellini, a medley of vegetables, and a luscious, creamy broth to create a bowl of comfort and flavor. Perfect for a chilly evening or any day you crave something wholesome, it’s a one-pot wonder that’s simple to prepare. Let’s dive into this recipe to create a soup that’ll nourish your body and soul.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, green beans)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 9 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish (optional)
Preparing the Base:
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it becomes translucent, which should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds or until it becomes fragrant.
Simmering the Soup:
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and add the diced tomatoes, mixed vegetables, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and allow it to simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes. This gives the flavors time to meld, and the vegetables should become tender.
Cooking the Tortellini:
- Add the refrigerated cheese tortellini to the simmering soup. Cook the tortellini according to the package instructions, typically for about 7-9 minutes or until they are tender.
- Pour in the heavy cream and add the grated Parmesan cheese. Stir the soup until the cheese has melted, and the broth becomes creamy. This usually takes a couple of minutes.
Garnish and Serve:
- If desired, garnish your creamy tortellini soup with fresh basil or parsley for a burst of color and a touch of freshness.
- Vegetable Variations: Feel free to customize the soup with your favorite vegetables or whatever you have on hand. Fresh or frozen spinach, chopped zucchini, or a handful of kale are excellent choices.
- Tortellini Options: While cheese tortellini are a classic choice, you can experiment with other varieties like spinach and ricotta or mushroom-filled tortellini for different flavors.
- Broth Choices: You can opt for either chicken or vegetable broth based on your dietary preferences. Both work wonderfully in this recipe.
- Seasoning: Adjust the seasonings to your taste. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a hint of heat, or increase the dried herbs for more flavor.
- Storage: This creamy tortellini soup reheats beautifully. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Freezing: If you choose to freeze the soup, keep in mind that the tortellini may become softer upon thawing. If freezing, do so without the tortellini and add fresh tortellini when reheating.
Creamy Tortellini Soup is like a warm hug for your taste buds. Whether you savor it as a soothing weeknight dinner or serve it to guests, its velvety broth and cheesy tortellini will make every spoonful a joy. Create this comforting classic and experience the nourishing and delightful taste it brings to your table. 🍲🥄🧀