Creamy Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup – A Hearty Delight for All Palates
As the days grow colder, there’s nothing quite like a steaming bowl of soup to warm you from the inside out. Enter Creamy Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup, a soul-soothing dish that’s not only hearty and comforting but also entirely plant-based. This flavorful concoction combines the earthy richness of mushrooms, the nutty depth of wild rice, and the creamy texture of a dairy-free base. Let’s embark on this culinary journey to create a soup that delights both vegans and non-vegans alike.
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces (about 450g) cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Creamy Base:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Lemon wedges for serving (optional)
Preparing the Soup:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent, typically in about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and continue to sauté for an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pot and cook until they release their moisture and start to brown, which should take around 5-6 minutes.
- Incorporate the wild rice blend, vegetable broth, bay leaves, dried thyme, salt, and black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for about 45-50 minutes, or until the wild rice is tender.
Creating the Creamy Base:
- In a high-speed blender, combine the soaked and drained raw cashews, water, nutritional yeast, white miso paste, and lemon juice. Blend until the mixture is ultra-smooth and creamy.
- Pour the creamy base into the pot with the soup and stir to combine. Let the soup simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes to heat through and meld the flavors.
Garnish and Serve:
- Ladle the Creamy Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve with lemon wedges if desired.
- Soaking Cashews: To ensure a silky-smooth base, soak the raw cashews in water for at least 4 hours or overnight. If you’re in a hurry, you can quick-soak them by pouring boiling water over the cashews and letting them sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Variations: Feel free to add additional veggies like carrots, celery, or kale to the soup for extra color and nutrients.
- Spice It Up: For a bit of heat, you can include a pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper while sautéing the mushrooms.
- Consistency: Adjust the thickness of the soup by adding more or less of the creamy base. If you prefer it thinner, simply stir in more vegetable broth.
- Storage: This soup stores well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat it on the stove, adding a splash of water if needed to reach your desired consistency.
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup is a celebration of flavor and warmth, welcoming everyone to the table. Its creamy texture and earthy essence create a truly satisfying dish that’s perfect for chilly days or when you’re in need of a comforting meal. Share this vegan delight with friends and family and watch it become a beloved favorite. 🌱🍲🍄