This Chicken and Dressing Casserole is the ultimate comfort food, perfect for family dinners, potlucks, and holiday gatherings. It’s a classic dish that combines tender chicken, flavorful herbs, and toasted bread cubes, all baked together to create a hearty and delicious casserole. This recipe is easy to prepare, making it a great option for busy weeknights when you want to serve up a satisfying meal without spending hours in the kitchen. With its rich flavors and comforting texture, this Chicken and Dressing Casserole is sure to become a favorite in your household.
recipe for a delicious Chicken and Dressing Casserole that’s perfect for any occasion:
- 4 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Spread the cubed bread on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the bread is lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the cooked and shredded chicken, sage, thyme, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the chicken broth and eggs. Add the toasted bread cubes and stir to coat.
- Add the chicken mixture to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the casserole is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before serving.
Certainly, here are some tips to ensure that your Chicken and Dressing Casserole turns out perfectly:
- Use day-old bread: Using day-old bread that has been left out to dry for a bit will help it to absorb the flavors of the casserole better and give it a better texture. If you don’t have day-old bread, you can dry it out in the oven by toasting it for a few minutes.
- Cook the chicken before shredding: Make sure that you cook the chicken before shredding it for the casserole. You can use leftover cooked chicken or bake some chicken breasts in the oven until they are cooked through.
- Add herbs and seasonings: The herbs and seasonings in this recipe, such as sage, thyme, salt, and black pepper, give the casserole a lot of flavor. Don’t be afraid to adjust the amount of seasoning to your taste.
- Use a large bowl for mixing: A large bowl will give you enough room to mix all of the ingredients together thoroughly without making a mess.
- Let the casserole rest: Letting the casserole rest for a few minutes after baking will allow it to set and make it easier to slice and serve.
- Add some texture: If you like some extra crunch in your casserole, try adding some chopped walnuts or pecans to the bread cubes before baking.
By following these tips, you can create a delicious Chicken and Dressing Casserole that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
This Chicken and Dressing Casserole is a comforting and satisfying dish that is perfect for any occasion, from family dinners to holiday gatherings. The combination of tender chicken, flavorful herbs, and toasted bread cubes creates a delicious and hearty casserole that is sure to be a hit with everyone. Serve it with your favorite vegetables for a complete meal. Enjoy!