Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup: A Comforting Classic
As the seasons change and a chill fills the air, there’s nothing quite like a steaming bowl of Vegetable Beef Soup to warm your soul. This timeless recipe brings together tender chunks of beef, a medley of hearty vegetables, and a rich, savory broth that’s both comforting and nourishing. Whether you’re seeking a comforting meal on a cold winter day or a nutritious family dinner, this Vegetable Beef Soup is a go-to choice. Let’s dive into how to prepare this classic dish that’s sure to become a household favorite.
For the Vegetable Beef Soup:
- 1 pound lean beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Prepare the Vegetable Beef Soup:
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the bite-sized beef stew meat and brown it on all sides. This should take about 5 minutes. Once browned, remove the beef and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté for about 2 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Return the browned beef to the pot.
- Add the chopped carrots, celery, diced potatoes, green beans, and corn kernels to the pot. Stir everything together.
- Pour in the can of diced tomatoes (with the juice) and add the beef broth.
- Drop in the bay leaves and sprinkle the dried thyme over the ingredients.
- Season the soup with salt and black pepper to taste. Be cautious with the salt, as the beef broth can be quite salty. You can adjust the seasoning later.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and let it simmer for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables and beef are tender.
- Once the soup is ready, remove the bay leaves and discard them.
Serve and Garnish: 11. Ladle the hot Vegetable Beef Soup into bowls.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread or crackers for a complete and hearty meal.
- You can customize the vegetables in this soup according to your preferences. Feel free to add or omit ingredients like peas, green bell peppers, or even diced squash.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, you can add a slurry made from 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Stir it into the simmering soup until it thickens to your liking.
- Leftovers of this Vegetable Beef Soup can be stored in the refrigerator and will often taste even better the next day as the flavors meld.
- For a richer flavor, you can brown the beef with a touch of flour before adding the vegetables and liquids.
Vegetable Beef Soup is a timeless and comforting dish that’s perfect for warming up on cold days or enjoying a wholesome family dinner. With its tender chunks of beef and a vibrant assortment of vegetables, this soup offers a delightful combination of flavors and textures that will satisfy your taste buds. Whether you’re preparing it for a special occasion or simply for a heartwarming meal, this classic recipe is a winner every time. Enjoy the comforting embrace of Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup! 🍲✨