Spaghetti casserole is a classic comfort food that is easy to make and always satisfying. It’s a versatile dish that can be customized to your liking with different meats, sauces, and toppings. In this recipe, we’ll be using ground beef, tomato sauce, and plenty of cheese to create a delicious and hearty casserole that the whole family will love.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned and cooked through. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked spaghetti with the meat sauce and mix well.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, spread half of the spaghetti mixture evenly on the bottom. Top with half of the mozzarella, cheddar, and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with the remaining spaghetti mixture and cheeses.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
Tips for success:
- Cook the spaghetti al dente – this means the pasta should be cooked until it is firm but not hard. This will prevent the spaghetti from becoming mushy when it’s baked in the casserole.
- Use a large skillet to cook the meat sauce – this will ensure that the meat and vegetables cook evenly and the sauce is well combined.
- Drain the diced tomatoes – this will prevent the casserole from becoming too watery.
- Use a variety of cheeses – this will add depth of flavor and create a deliciously gooey texture.
- Garnish with fresh parsley – this will add a pop of color and freshness to the finished dish.
- Vegetarian – skip the ground beef and use chopped vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, and eggplant instead.
- Spicy – add a diced jalapeño pepper or red pepper flakes to the meat sauce for some heat.
- Creamy – stir in a cup of ricotta cheese to the spaghetti mixture before baking for a creamy and indulgent twist.
- Cheesy – add more cheese! Try adding some crumbled feta or blue cheese to the casserole for a tangy twist.
Spaghetti casserole is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that’s perfect for feeding a crowd or for meal prepping. With the right combination of pasta, meat sauce, and cheese, it’s a comfort food that’s hard to resist. And with the tips and variations provided, you can easily customize this recipe to your liking. So why not give it a try and enjoy a warm and comforting meal with your loved ones?
Sure, here’s some additional information and tips to help you make the perfect spaghetti casserole:
- You can use any type of ground meat you prefer, such as ground turkey or chicken, instead of beef.
- If you want to make this casserole ahead of time, you can prepare it up to step 10, cover it tightly with foil, and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to bake it, simply remove the foil and bake it according to the recipe instructions.
- If you want to freeze this casserole for later, you can prepare it up to step 10, cover it tightly with foil, and freeze it for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake it, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then remove the foil and bake it according to the recipe instructions.
- You can add other vegetables to the meat sauce, such as diced onions, bell peppers, or mushrooms, to give it more flavor and nutrition.
- For a spicier casserole, you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or some chopped jalapeños to the meat sauce.
- If you prefer a creamier casserole, you can mix in some cream cheese or sour cream to the spaghetti mixture before layering it in the baking dish.
- You can serve this casserole with some garlic bread or a side salad for a complete meal.
We hope these tips and tricks help you make the perfect spaghetti casserole that your whole family will love!