Fresh Snapped Green Beans & Potatoes: A Simple and Flavorful Side Dish
Fresh Snapped Green Beans & Potatoes is a classic side dish that combines the natural flavors of green beans and potatoes with a touch of seasoning. This dish is not only delicious but also easy to prepare, making it a perfect addition to any meal. Whether you’re serving it alongside grilled chicken, roasted pork, or as a standalone vegetarian option, this recipe will bring out the vibrant flavors of fresh produce.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends snapped and washed
- 1 pound small red potatoes, washed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional, for serving)
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional, for garnish)
Prepare the Green Beans and Potatoes:
- Snap the ends off the fresh green beans and wash them thoroughly. Set them aside.
- Wash the small red potatoes and cut them into quarters. If your potatoes are larger, you can cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Cook the Green Beans and Potatoes: 3. In a large skillet or pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and dried thyme to the skillet. Sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the quartered potatoes to the skillet. Cook them for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to develop a golden crust.
- Add the fresh green beans to the skillet. Continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until the green beans are tender and the potatoes are cooked through. You can cover the skillet to help steam the vegetables if needed.
- Season the green beans and potatoes with salt and black pepper to taste.
Add Lemon Zest and Juice: 8. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Zest the lemon and squeeze its juice over the cooked green beans and potatoes. The lemon zest and juice will add a refreshing citrusy flavor to the dish.
Garnish and Serve: 10. Optionally, sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley over the green beans and potatoes for extra flavor and freshness.
- Serve the Fresh Snapped Green Beans & Potatoes immediately as a delightful side dish.
- You can customize this dish by adding other seasonings like paprika, rosemary, or crushed red pepper flakes for a different flavor profile.
- For a richer taste, you can sauté the green beans and potatoes in butter instead of olive oil.
- Make sure not to overcook the green beans; they should retain their vibrant green color and a slight crispness.
- This dish is versatile and pairs well with various proteins, such as chicken, beef, fish, or even tofu for a vegetarian option.
Fresh Snapped Green Beans & Potatoes is a simple yet flavorful side dish that highlights the natural taste of fresh produce. With a touch of garlic, thyme, and the bright zing of lemon, this dish is a perfect accompaniment to any meal. Follow this easy recipe, create your own Fresh Snapped Green Beans & Potatoes, and enjoy the delicious combination of textures and flavors in every bite.