Broccoli & Cheddar Twice-Baked Potatoes: A Cheesy Comfort Food Classic
Indulgent, Creamy, and Bursting with Flavor
Twice-baked potatoes are a classic comfort food, and when you add the goodness of broccoli and cheddar cheese into the mix, you’re in for a deliciously satisfying meal. These Broccoli & Cheddar Twice-Baked Potatoes are not only a crowd-pleaser but also make a fantastic side dish or even a main course. Let’s dive into this recipe!
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2 cups broccoli florets, steamed and chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup milk (adjust to desired consistency)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chives or green onions, chopped (for garnish)
1. Bake the Potatoes:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Scrub the potatoes clean, prick them with a fork, and place them directly on the oven rack. Bake for about 45-60 minutes or until they’re tender when pierced with a fork.
2. Prepare the Filling:
- While the potatoes are baking, steam the broccoli florets until they’re tender, then chop them into small pieces.
3. Scoop and Mash:
- Remove the baked potatoes from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Slice off the top third of each potato lengthwise and carefully scoop out the potato flesh into a large bowl, leaving a potato shell.
4. Mix the Filling:
- Mash the potato flesh in the bowl and add the minced garlic, sour cream, butter, and milk. Mix until creamy and well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add Broccoli and Cheese:
- Gently fold the chopped broccoli and shredded cheddar cheese into the mashed potato mixture until everything is evenly distributed.
6. Refill the Potato Skins:
- Carefully spoon the cheesy broccoli and potato mixture back into the potato shells, mounding it up.
7. Bake Again:
- Place the filled potato halves on a baking sheet and return them to the oven. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the filling is heated through.
8. Garnish and Serve:
- Remove the Broccoli & Cheddar Twice-Baked Potatoes from the oven and sprinkle them with fresh chopped chives or green onions for a burst of color and flavor.
- Serve the potatoes while they’re still hot. They make a delightful side dish or a comforting main course.
Tips and Variations:
Customizing Your Broccoli & Cheddar Twice-Baked Potatoes
- To speed up the baking process, you can microwave the potatoes for about 5 minutes per potato before baking them in the oven. This will help them cook faster and more evenly.
- For an extra flavor boost, add crispy bacon bits or diced ham to the filling.
- If you’re a fan of spicy food, consider mixing in some diced jalapeños or a pinch of red pepper flakes for a hint of heat.
- Instead of cheddar cheese, experiment with other cheese varieties like Gruyère, Swiss, or Monterey Jack for unique flavor profiles.
- Get creative with your toppings! You can add a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle more shredded cheese, or even drizzle with a bit of homemade gravy for a truly indulgent experience.
- Leftover Broccoli & Cheddar Twice-Baked Potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat them in the oven or microwave until heated through.
- Broccoli & Cheddar Twice-Baked Potatoes are a versatile dish that can be customized to your taste. Whether you serve them as a side or enjoy them as the main attraction, they’re sure to be a hit with family and friends. With their creamy, cheesy goodness and the added nutrition from broccoli, these potatoes are a delicious way to enjoy a classic comfort food favorite.