Steak fajitas are a sizzling, flavorful Tex-Mex dish that’s perfect for a casual dinner at home or a festive gathering with friends and family. This recipe will guide you through marinating and cooking tender strips of steak, along with colorful bell peppers and onions, resulting in a delicious filling for warm tortillas.
For the Marinade:
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak or flank steak
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Fajitas:
- 2 large bell peppers (a mix of red, green, and yellow), thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 small flour tortillas
- Sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and shredded cheese for serving
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
1. Prepare the Steak:
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, lime juice, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. This mixture will be your marinade.
- Place the steak in a resealable plastic bag or a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the steak, making sure it’s evenly coated. Seal the bag or cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or ideally, up to 4 hours to marinate. Allow it to come to room temperature before cooking.
2. Grill or Cook the Steak:
- Preheat your grill or a skillet over high heat. If using a skillet, add a bit of oil to prevent sticking.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and grill or cook it for about 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare, or longer if you prefer your steak more well-done.
- Remove the steak from the heat and let it rest for a few minutes. Then, slice it thinly against the grain into strips.
3. Sauté the Vegetables:
- In a separate skillet over medium-high heat, add a bit of oil and sauté the sliced bell peppers and onions until they are tender and slightly caramelized, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Warm the Tortillas:
- While the vegetables are cooking, warm the tortillas in a dry skillet or in the microwave.
5. Assemble the Fajitas:
- To assemble each fajita, place some slices of cooked steak and sautéed peppers and onions in the center of a tortilla.
- Add your choice of condiments like sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and shredded cheese.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
- Roll up the tortilla around the filling, tucking in the sides as you go.
- Serve your steak fajitas immediately while they’re hot and sizzling.
- Feel free to use chicken, shrimp, or even tofu as a protein alternative to steak.
- Experiment with different types of tortillas, such as whole wheat, corn, or spinach tortillas.
- Customize your fajitas with additional toppings like diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, jalapeño slices, or pickled red onions.
- Marinating Time: The longer you marinate the steak, the more flavorful it will be. If you have the time, marinate it for several hours or even overnight in the refrigerator.
- Slicing the Steak: To ensure your steak is tender, be sure to slice it against the grain. This means cutting perpendicular to the lines you can see running through the meat. Slicing against the grain shortens the muscle fibers, making each bite more tender.
- Charred Flavor: If you’re grilling the steak, don’t be afraid to let it get a little charred on the outside. This adds a delicious smoky flavor to your fajitas.
- Tortilla Warm-Up: Warming the tortillas is essential for pliability and flavor. You can wrap them in aluminum foil and place them in a low oven for a few minutes or warm them in a dry skillet for about 30 seconds per side.
- Customize the Heat: Adjust the level of spiciness by adding more or fewer chili powder or using a spicier salsa. For those who like it hot, consider adding sliced jalapeños.
- Serve your steak fajitas with a side of Mexican rice and refried beans for a complete meal.
- Don’t forget a bowl of tortilla chips and some fresh salsa or guacamole for snacking or as an appetizer.
- A squeeze of fresh lime juice over the fajitas just before serving adds a burst of citrusy freshness.
Enjoy Your Steak Fajitas:
Steak fajitas are a versatile and flavorful dish that’s sure to be a hit at your table. Whether it’s a casual dinner with family or a festive gathering with friends, these sizzling fajitas are always a crowd-pleaser. So, gather your favorite toppings and enjoy building your own customized fajitas. The combination of tender steak, sautéed veggies, and zesty condiments is simply irresistible. Dig in and savor the Tex-Mex goodness!
Steak fajitas are a fantastic way to enjoy the bold and zesty flavors of Tex-Mex cuisine in the comfort of your own home. With tender marinated steak, sautéed peppers and onions, and all your favorite toppings, these fajitas are a crowd-pleaser and make for a fun and interactive meal. Serve them up at your next gathering or for a satisfying weeknight dinner. Enjoy your homemade steak fajitas!