Sopa de Fideo con Carne, also known as Mexican Noodle Soup with Meat, is a comforting and flavorful dish that is popular in Mexican cuisine. It features thin noodles cooked in a tomato-based broth, along with tender pieces of beef and a variety of vegetables and seasonings. Here’s a recipe to guide you in making this delicious soup:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces fideo noodles or thin vermicelli noodles, broken into small pieces
- 1 pound beef, cut into small cubes (such as sirloin or stew meat)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the fideo noodles and cook, stirring constantly, until they turn golden brown. Be careful not to let them burn. Remove the noodles from the pot and set them aside.
- In the same pot, add the beef cubes and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the diced carrots and zucchini to the pot and cook for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Return the browned beef cubes to the pot. Add the diced tomatoes (with their juice), beef or vegetable broth, ground cumin, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the beef is tender and the flavors have melded together.
- Add the reserved fideo noodles to the pot and simmer for an additional 5 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked and tender.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if needed, adding more salt, pepper, cumin, or oregano according to your preference.
- Serve the Sopa de Fideo con Carne hot, garnished with fresh chopped cilantro. Provide lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the soup, which adds a burst of fresh citrus flavor.
- Enjoy the delicious and comforting Sopa de Fideo con Carne as a satisfying meal on its own or accompanied by warm tortillas or crusty bread.
- You can customize the soup by adding other vegetables such as corn, bell peppers, or peas.
- If you prefer a spicier soup, you can add a pinch of chili powder or a chopped jalapeño pepper.
- Feel free to use chicken or vegetable broth instead of beef broth, depending on your preference or dietary restrictions.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days. The noodles may absorb some of the broth, so you may need to add a little more broth or water when reheating.
Sopa de Fideo con Carne is a comforting and flavorful soup that brings together the richness of beef, the warmth of spices, and the comforting texture of noodles. It’s a beloved dish in Mexican cuisine and is sure to be a hit at your table. Enjoy!
Here are a few tips to make your Sopa de Fideo con Carne even more flavorful:
- Toast the noodles: Before cooking the noodles, toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat until they turn golden brown. This step enhances their flavor and adds a nutty aroma to the soup.
- Use homemade broth: If possible, use homemade beef or vegetable broth instead of store-bought. Homemade broth tends to have richer flavors and can elevate the overall taste of the soup. If you’re short on time, you can also enhance store-bought broth by simmering it with additional herbs and vegetables for an extra burst of flavor.
- Brown the meat well: When browning the beef cubes, make sure to achieve a deep brown color on all sides. This caramelization process adds a rich and savory flavor to the meat, which will enhance the overall taste of the soup.
- Add spices and herbs: In addition to the cumin and oregano called for in the recipe, you can add other spices and herbs to further enhance the flavor. Consider adding a pinch of smoked paprika, chili powder, or a bay leaf during the simmering process. Taste the soup as it cooks and adjust the seasoning accordingly to suit your preferences.
- Sauté the vegetables: Take the time to sauté the onions and garlic until they become fragrant and slightly caramelized. This step brings out their natural sweetness and adds depth of flavor to the soup.
- Incorporate aromatics: For an additional layer of flavor, consider adding aromatics like chopped fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, or a sprinkle of grated Cotija or Queso Fresco cheese as a garnish. These ingredients add brightness and contrast to the soup.
- Let it simmer: Allow the soup to simmer for a sufficient amount of time. This helps the flavors to meld together and develop a more robust taste. The longer the soup simmers, the more the flavors will intensify.
- Rest and reheat: If possible, let the soup cool and rest for a few hours or overnight before reheating and serving. This resting period allows the flavors to meld and intensify, resulting in a more flavorful and cohesive soup.
Remember, tasting the soup as you cook is key. Adjust the seasonings, salt, and spices according to your personal preference to achieve the desired flavor profile. Enjoy your flavorful Sopa de Fideo con Carne!