Smothered Hamburger Steak: A Southern Comfort Classic
Introduction: Smothered Hamburger Steak is a quintessential Southern comfort dish that warms the heart and soul with every bite. This savory delight features seasoned ground beef patties smothered in a rich and velvety onion and mushroom gravy. Served over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes or fluffy rice, it’s a meal that transports you to a cozy Southern kitchen, where the aroma of comfort fills the air. Join us as we dive into this classic recipe and create a dish that’s a warm hug on a plate.
For the Hamburger Steak:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Gravy:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Creamy mashed potatoes or cooked rice
Prepare the Hamburger Steak:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, finely chopped onion, milk, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into oval or round patties, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a bit of oil.
- Cook the hamburger patties in the skillet for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they are browned and cooked to your desired level of doneness. Transfer them to a plate and set aside.
Prepare the Gravy: 5. In the same skillet, add the unsalted butter and let it melt.
- Add the thinly sliced onion and mushrooms. Sauté them for about 5-7 minutes, or until they are tender and the moisture has evaporated.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the mushroom and onion mixture. Stir well to coat the vegetables.
- Pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens into a rich gravy. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Season the gravy with salt and black pepper to taste.
Smother the Hamburger Steak: 11. Return the cooked hamburger patties to the skillet, nestling them into the mushroom and onion gravy.
- Simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes to heat the patties through and allow the flavors to meld.
Serve and Garnish: 13. Serve the Smothered Hamburger Steak over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes or cooked rice.
- If desired, garnish with chopped fresh parsley for a pop of color and freshness.
Enjoy the Comfort: 15. Dive into this comforting Southern classic and savor the savory goodness of each bite.
- You can customize the seasoning of the hamburger patties by adding herbs or spices like paprika or thyme to suit your taste.
- If you prefer a thicker gravy, you can adjust the amount of flour to your liking.
- For an extra kick, consider adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to the gravy for some heat.
- Smothered Hamburger Steak pairs wonderfully with Southern-style collard greens or buttered green beans as side dishes.
Conclusion: Smothered Hamburger Steak is a Southern comfort classic that embodies the heartwarming essence of home-cooked meals. With its seasoned ground beef patties nestled in a rich mushroom and onion gravy, it’s a dish that wraps you in a cozy, comforting embrace. So, savor the savory delight of this classic recipe, and let it transport you to a place where Southern hospitality and culinary traditions unite in a symphony of flavors.