Shepherd’s Pie Baked Potato: A Hearty Twist on a Classic
Shepherd’s Pie Baked Potato is a comforting and satisfying dish that takes the classic shepherd’s pie to a whole new level. By topping a savory and hearty ground meat and vegetable mixture with creamy mashed potatoes and baking it until golden and bubbly, this recipe combines two beloved favorites into one delicious meal. It’s the perfect choice for a cozy family dinner or a hearty dish to share with friends. Let’s dive into the delightful world of Shepherd’s Pie Baked Potato and learn how to create this mouthwatering twist on tradition.
For the Mashed Potato Topping:
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Shepherd’s Pie Filling:
- 1 pound ground beef or ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Prepare the Mashed Potato Topping:
- Place the peeled and chopped potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water.
- Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Add the unsalted butter and whole milk to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes until they are smooth and creamy. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
Prepare the Shepherd’s Pie Filling: 6. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef or lamb over medium heat until browned and cooked through. Break it into crumbles as it cooks. Once done, remove the meat from the skillet and set it aside.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onions and diced carrots. Sauté until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the cooked meat back to the skillet and stir in the frozen peas.
- Mix in the tomato paste, beef or vegetable broth, Worcestershire sauce, and dried thyme. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Let the filling simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the vegetables are tender.
Assemble and Bake: 12. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Transfer the Shepherd’s Pie filling into a baking dish or individual oven-safe dishes.
- Spoon the mashed potato topping evenly over the filling, creating a smooth surface with a fork.
- Place the baking dish(es) in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the mashed potato topping is golden and the filling is bubbling.
Serve and Enjoy: 16. Remove the Shepherd’s Pie Baked Potato from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Serve this delicious and hearty dish and savor each comforting bite.
- Feel free to use ground beef or ground lamb, depending on your preference. You can even combine them for a unique flavor.
- Customize the vegetables in the filling by adding ingredients like corn, green beans, or bell peppers.
- To add a bit of extra flavor, sprinkle some grated cheese over the mashed potato topping before baking.
- Shepherd’s Pie Baked Potato is a complete meal on its own, but you can also serve it with a side salad or steamed vegetables for a well-rounded dinner.
Shepherd’s Pie Baked Potato is a delightful fusion of fluffy mashed potatoes and a savory meat and vegetable filling. This dish delivers the comfort and warmth of traditional shepherd’s pie with an added touch of golden crispiness. Whether you’re serving it to your family or sharing it with guests, each bite of this hearty and satisfying meal will be a delicious experience. Enjoy the heartwarming goodness of Shepherd’s Pie Baked Potato!