Fried Potatoes, Onions, and Smoked Polish Sausage
Enjoy the comforting flavors of fried potatoes, sweet onions, and smoky Polish sausage in this hearty and easy-to-make skillet dish. It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a simple weeknight dinner. Here’s how to make it:
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage, sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional, for garnish)
1. Prep the Ingredients:
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into thin rounds. Rinse them in cold water and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel to remove excess starch.
- Thinly slice the sweet onion.
- Slice the smoked Polish sausage into rounds.
2. Sauté the Potatoes:
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil and butter over medium-high heat until the butter is melted and foamy.
- Add the sliced potatoes to the skillet. Spread them out in an even layer to ensure they cook evenly.
- Season the potatoes with paprika, salt, and black pepper. Stir to coat the potatoes evenly with the seasonings.
- Cook the potatoes for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want them to become golden brown and crispy on the edges.
3. Add the Onions and Sausage:
- Once the potatoes are golden and crispy, add the sliced sweet onions to the skillet. Stir to combine them with the potatoes.
- Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the onions become soft and slightly caramelized.
- Add the sliced smoked Polish sausage to the skillet. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes, allowing the sausage to heat through and develop some smoky flavor.
- Taste the dish and adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley for a burst of color and freshness.
- Serve hot and enjoy your delicious Fried Potatoes, Onions, and Smoked Polish Sausage.
- You can customize this dish by adding your favorite seasonings. Smoked paprika, garlic powder, or a pinch of cayenne pepper can add extra flavor.
- For a touch of freshness, consider topping the dish with a dollop of sour cream or a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese.
- If you have leftovers, they can be reheated in a skillet for a quick and tasty breakfast the next day.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or halved to suit your serving needs.
This Fried Potatoes, Onions, and Smoked Polish Sausage dish is a classic comfort food that’s simple to prepare and incredibly satisfying. It’s sure to become a family favorite in no time. Enjoy!
- Variations: This dish is highly adaptable. You can customize it by adding vegetables like bell peppers, mushrooms, or even green peas for extra color and flavor. Feel free to experiment with different sausage varieties as well, such as kielbasa or bratwurst.
- Spice it Up: If you like a bit of heat, consider adding a pinch of red pepper flakes or hot sauce to the skillet when sautéing the onions and sausage.
- Fresh Herbs: Sprinkle some freshly chopped herbs like parsley, chives, or dill over the finished dish to elevate its freshness and aroma.
- Serve with Eggs: For a hearty breakfast or brunch, serve this dish alongside scrambled eggs or with a sunny-side-up fried egg on top.
- Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop for a quick and delicious meal.
Fried Potatoes, Onions, and Smoked Polish Sausage is a comforting and versatile dish that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds. Enjoy its rich flavors and comforting warmth as a standalone meal or pair it with your favorite sides. It’s a classic recipe that’s perfect for any occasion!