Fideo con Carne and Papas is a comforting and flavorful Mexican dish that combines vermicelli noodles (fideo), seasoned ground beef (carne), and potatoes (papas). It’s a hearty one-pot meal that is easy to prepare and is loved by many. Here’s a recipe to guide you in making Fideo con Carne and Papas:
- 8 ounces vermicelli noodles (fideo), broken into small pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- Heat a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add the broken vermicelli noodles and toast them, stirring frequently, until they turn golden brown. Remove the noodles from the skillet and set them aside.
- In the same skillet, add the ground beef and cook it until browned, breaking it up into small pieces with a spoon or spatula.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet with the ground beef. Cook until the onion becomes translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the diced potatoes, diced tomatoes (including the juice), beef broth, ground cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the skillet. Let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the toasted vermicelli noodles to the skillet, stirring them into the mixture. Cover the skillet again and continue simmering for another 5-10 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked and tender.
- Taste the dish and adjust the seasonings, salt, and pepper according to your preference.
- Serve the Fideo con Carne and Papas hot, garnished with fresh chopped cilantro. Squeeze lime juice over the dish before eating, if desired.
- Enjoy the flavorful combination of seasoned ground beef, tender potatoes, and toasted vermicelli noodles in this comforting Fideo con Carne and Papas dish.
- You can customize the flavors of this dish by adding additional spices or herbs. Consider adding a pinch of smoked paprika, chipotle powder, or crushed red pepper flakes for some extra heat and smokiness.
- If you prefer a vegetarian version, you can replace the ground beef with cooked lentils, black beans, or your favorite meat alternative.
- Feel free to add additional vegetables to the dish, such as diced bell peppers or corn kernels, to add more texture and flavor.
- Serve Fideo con Carne and Papas with warm tortillas or crusty bread for a complete and satisfying meal.
Fideo con Carne and Papas is a comforting and flavorful dish that brings together simple ingredients to create a delicious and satisfying meal. Enjoy the hearty combination of seasoned ground beef, tender potatoes, and toasty vermicelli noodles in this Mexican-inspired dish!
Here are a few side dish recommendations that would pair well with Fideo con Carne and Papas:
- Mexican Rice: A classic side dish, Mexican rice complements the flavors of Fideo con Carne and Papas perfectly. Serve it alongside the main dish to add another layer of deliciousness.
- Refried Beans: Whether you choose traditional refried beans or black beans, they make a fantastic side dish. Their creamy texture and savory flavor provide a nice contrast to the fideo and meat.
- Guacamole and Chips: Fresh and creamy guacamole paired with crispy tortilla chips is always a crowd-pleaser. The coolness and richness of the guacamole complement the heartiness of the main dish.
- Mexican Street Corn (Elote): Grilled or roasted corn on the cob slathered with a mixture of mayonnaise, Mexican crema, cheese, chili powder, and lime juice is a fantastic side dish. It adds a burst of flavor and texture to the meal.
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad: A refreshing salad made with sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onions, and a tangy dressing of lime juice, olive oil, and cilantro. It provides a light and fresh contrast to the richer flavors of the fideo and meat.
- Mexican Coleslaw: Give your meal a crunch with a zesty and vibrant Mexican coleslaw. It typically includes shredded cabbage, carrots, cilantro, lime juice, and a touch of chili powder for a kick.
- Mexican Street-Style Grilled Corn Salad: A deconstructed version of elote, this salad combines grilled corn kernels, cotija cheese, lime juice, mayonnaise, chili powder, and cilantro. It’s a flavorful and unique side dish option.
- Tostadas: Crispy tostadas topped with refried beans, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocado slices, and a drizzle of Mexican crema make a satisfying and complementary side dish.
- Chiles Rellenos: For a more substantial side dish, serve chiles rellenos alongside the fideo and meat. These are roasted and stuffed poblano peppers filled with cheese or other savory fillings, then battered and fried until golden brown.
- Fresh Fruit Salad: A light and refreshing option, a bowl of fresh fruit salad with a variety of seasonal fruits can provide a refreshing contrast to the savory flavors of the main dish.
These side dishes offer a range of flavors, textures, and freshness that can complement the flavors of Fideo con Carne and Papas. Choose one or a few that appeal to you and create a well-rounded and satisfying meal experience.