Butter Swim Biscuits – Melt-in-Your-Mouth Goodness
Butter Swim Biscuits, as the name suggests, are a slice of buttery heaven that will melt in your mouth with every bite. This recipe offers a unique twist on traditional biscuits, where they’re baked in a pool of butter, creating a crispy, golden bottom and a tender, flaky interior. The result is a biscuit so delicious and indulgent that it can be enjoyed with a variety of dishes or simply on its own. Get ready to elevate your biscuit game to a whole new level of delight!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (for the “butter swim”)
- Preheat and Prep: Preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C). Place the 1/4 cup of unsalted butter in a 9×9-inch (23×23 cm) square baking dish and put it in the oven to melt. Keep an eye on it, so it doesn’t burn.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well to ensure even distribution of ingredients.
- Add Cold Butter: Grate the cold butter using a box grater and add it to the dry ingredients. Gently toss the grated butter in the flour mixture to coat it evenly.
- Incorporate Buttermilk: Pour in the buttermilk and stir until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overmix; just combine until there are no dry spots.
- Form Biscuits: Turn the biscuit dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead it a few times to bring it together. Pat the dough into a 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick rectangle.
- Cut Biscuits: Using a biscuit cutter or a floured glass, cut out biscuits from the dough. Do not twist the cutter; simply press down and lift.
- Butter the Biscuits: Take the melted butter out of the oven. Place the biscuits into the melted butter, arranging them evenly in the baking dish.
- Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown on top and have soaked up all that luscious butter from the “butter swim.”
- Serve Warm: These biscuits are best enjoyed warm. Allow them to cool slightly and then serve. They’re fantastic on their own or with your favorite gravy, jam, or honey.
- Cold Butter: Using cold butter and grating it into the dry ingredients is the secret to achieving those flaky, buttery layers.
- Flour as Needed: When working with the dough, add a bit of flour as needed to prevent sticking, but be careful not to over-flour.
- Buttermilk Substitute: If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk and letting it sit for a few minutes.
- Biscuit Size: You can cut the biscuits into your preferred size, whether you like them smaller for bite-sized treats or larger for a heartier side dish.
- Serve Creatively: These biscuits are a fantastic accompaniment to any meal, whether you enjoy them with breakfast, brunch, or dinner. Get creative with your toppings or serve them as the star of the show.
Butter Swim Biscuits are a simple yet incredibly indulgent treat that will win over the hearts and taste buds of anyone lucky enough to try them. With their crispy, buttery bottom and fluffy interior, these biscuits are a true delight. Enjoy the magic of the “butter swim”! 🍞🧈