Hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup: A Warm Bowl of Comfort
Beef and Vegetable Soup is a wholesome and comforting dish that’s perfect for those chilly days when you crave a bowl of warmth. Packed with tender beef, a medley of fresh vegetables, and a flavorful broth, this soup is a satisfying meal in itself. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through creating a hearty and nourishing pot of Beef and Vegetable Soup to enjoy with your loved ones.
For the Soup:
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Sauteing the Beef:
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the cubed beef stew meat and brown it on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the beef from the pot and set it aside.
Sautéing the Aromatics: 3. In the same pot, add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent.
Building the Soup: 4. Return the browned beef to the pot. Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, green beans, diced tomatoes, beef broth, bay leaves, and dried thyme. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the beef is tender and the vegetables are cooked.
Serve and Enjoy: 6. Remove the bay leaves before serving. Ladle the hot Beef and Vegetable Soup into bowls.
- You can customize this soup by adding other vegetables you enjoy, such as corn, peas, or bell peppers.
- Feel free to use fresh or canned vegetables, depending on your preference and what you have on hand.
- Serve your Beef and Vegetable Soup with a slice of crusty bread or a sprinkle of fresh parsley for added flavor.
- Beef Choice: You can use various cuts of beef for this soup. Stew meat, chuck roast, or sirloin are good options. The key is to cut the beef into bite-sized cubes for even cooking.
- Browning the Beef: Don’t rush the browning process. This step adds rich flavor to the soup. Ensure that the beef pieces are well-seared on all sides before removing them from the pot.
- Aromatics: Onions and garlic form the flavor base of this soup. If you love a stronger garlic flavor, feel free to add more cloves.
- Herbs and Spices: Dried thyme is used in this recipe, but you can experiment with other herbs like rosemary or oregano for different flavor profiles. Just adjust the quantities to your taste.
- Vegetable Variations: You can get creative with the vegetables. Add seasonal veggies like butternut squash, peas, or zucchini for a delightful twist.
- Broth Choices: Beef broth provides a hearty base, but you can use vegetable or chicken broth if you prefer. Adjust the salt accordingly, as different broths may have varying levels of sodium.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve this soup with a side of crusty bread, rolls, or a simple green salad. The combination of soup and bread is truly satisfying.
- Storage: This soup reheats beautifully, so you can make a big batch and enjoy it over several days. Store any leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Beef and Vegetable Soup is a versatile and filling dish that can be customized to your taste. With this recipe, you’ll have a go-to meal for warming up during the cold season or whenever you need a comforting, homemade meal. Enjoy! 🍲🥩🥕
This Beef and Vegetable Soup is a complete, heartwarming meal that’s perfect for filling your belly and soothing your soul. The tender beef, mixed with a medley of vegetables and a flavorful broth, will make it an instant family favorite. Whether it’s a comforting lunch or a cozy dinner, this soup will always hit the spot. 🍲🥩🥕