Banana Cream Puffs
Indulge in the delightful combination of creamy banana filling and delicate puff pastry with these Banana Cream Puffs. This dessert is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and impress your guests. Here’s how to make them:
For the Pastry:
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (for dusting)
For the Banana Cream Filling:
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Prepare the Puff Pastry:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Using a round cookie cutter or a glass, cut out circles from the pastry sheet. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the pastry circles with the beaten egg to give them a beautiful golden color when baked.
- Bake the pastry circles in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until they puff up and turn golden brown. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
2. Make the Banana Cream Filling:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the mashed bananas, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and milk.
- Gradually pour the egg and milk mixture into the banana mixture while whisking constantly.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Once it boils, continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes, still stirring.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the unsalted butter and vanilla extract until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer the banana cream filling to a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap touches the surface of the filling to prevent a skin from forming. Chill it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until cold.
3. Assemble the Banana Cream Puffs:
- Once the puff pastry circles have cooled, gently slice them in half horizontally to create a top and bottom.
- Spoon a generous amount of the chilled banana cream filling onto the bottom half of each pastry.
- Replace the top halves of the pastries, creating a sandwich.
4. Make the Whipped Cream Topping:
- In a mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe or spoon a dollop of whipped cream on top of each banana cream puff.
5. Serve and Enjoy:
- Dust the banana cream puffs with powdered sugar for an elegant finish.
- Serve your Banana Cream Puffs immediately, or refrigerate them for a short time to keep the cream cold until serving.
Enjoy the creamy, banana-filled goodness of these delightful Banana Cream Puffs!
- Be sure to cool the banana cream filling thoroughly before assembling the puffs to prevent them from becoming soggy.
- Customize your cream puffs by adding chocolate shavings, caramel sauce, or a drizzle of melted chocolate over the whipped cream topping.
- Feel free to use a kitchen torch to lightly brown the tops of the cream puffs for a beautiful finish.
- These puffs are best when eaten the same day they are assembled to maintain their crispness, but you can store any leftovers in the refrigerator for a short time.