Air Fryer Cranberry Orange Scones: A Citrusy Delight
The Perfect Blend of Zesty and Sweet
Scones, with their crumbly texture and rich, buttery flavor, are a beloved treat for breakfast or tea time. These Air Fryer Cranberry Orange Scones take the classic scone to the next level with the zing of citrusy orange and the tartness of cranberries. Plus, using the air fryer makes them quick, easy, and perfectly baked. Get ready to savor the delightful aroma and flavors of these scones!
For the Scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Orange Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1. Preheat the Air Fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for about 5 minutes.
2. Prepare the Scone Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the orange zest and dried cranberries.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a slightly shaggy dough is what you’re aiming for.
3. Shape and Cut the Scones:
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gently pat it into a circle that’s about 1 inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife or a round cutter to cut the dough into wedges or rounds, as you prefer.
4. Air Fry the Scones:
- Place the scones in the air fryer basket in a single layer, making sure they don’t touch each other. You may need to cook them in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fry the scones at 375°F (190°C) for 10-12 minutes, or until they are golden brown and cooked through. You can test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of a scone; it should come out clean.
5. Make the Orange Glaze:
- While the scones are cooling slightly, prepare the orange glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and enough fresh orange juice to create a smooth, drizzleable consistency.
6. Glaze the Scones:
- Once the scones have cooled for a few minutes, drizzle the orange glaze over the top of each scone.
7. Serve and Enjoy:
- Let the glaze set for a few minutes, then serve your Air Fryer Cranberry Orange Scones while they’re still warm.
Tips and Variations:
Customizing Your Air Fryer Cranberry Orange Scones
- Use cold butter for flakier scones. You can even freeze it for a short while before incorporating it into the dry ingredients.
- Handle the dough gently and avoid overmixing to ensure tender scones.
- Replace dried cranberries with dried cherries, blueberries, or chopped apricots for a different fruity twist.
- Try lemon zest instead of orange for a zesty lemon scone variation.
- Experiment with different glazes like lemon or vanilla for a unique flavor profile.
- These scones are best enjoyed fresh but can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 days. To regain their crispiness, reheat them in the air fryer for a few minutes.
- These Air Fryer Cranberry Orange Scones are a delightful way to start your morning or enjoy a cozy afternoon break. The orange glaze adds a burst of citrusy sweetness that perfectly complements the tartness of the cranberries. Whether you serve them with a hot cup of tea or freshly brewed coffee, these scones are sure to brighten your day.